What Is A Hair transplant?
A hair transplant is a process in which a surgeon moves hair to a bald area of the head. The surgeon usually take hair from the back or side of the head and transfer it to the front or top of the head or wherever required. Hair transplant often takes place under local anesthesia. Majority of hair loss is due to pattern baldness. This is due to genetics.
Some other factors responsible for the hair loss:
• Daily Diet
• Any kind of Illness
• Hormonal Imbalance
• Any kind of medications
One of the major causes of hair loss in men and women is genetics. Almost 90-95% of all the cases of baldness in this country is due to heredity and the remaining 5-10% of the cases can be due to a various number of things which including diet, stress, illness, and medications.
The various factors that can cause hair loss:
• Any kind of Medication
• Various drugs that are used to treat high blood pressure, heart problems, depression
• Chemotherapy or radiation treatment for cancer patients
• High levels of vitamin A or low levels of iron or protein
• Intake of Vitamins or minerals
• Birth control pills, in case of women, can cause hair loss
• Thyroid, severe infection, or flu
• Fungus infections on the scalp
Below are some surgical options available for the treatment of hair loss:
One of the most common hair transplant method is FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction). Hair follicles from a hair covered part are removed individually with a specialised cutting machine. By using fine blades, tiny sites are then formed where hair is thinning and the follicles are put into them. Normal anaesthesia is used to numb the area. It takes 7-8 hours, but there’s small downtime and no stitches due to which it doesn’t leave a scar on your head so it’s a good option for short or closely shaved hair. FUE is a surgery option, but it’s one of the least invasive methods of hair transplants in people. The cost of the surgery depends on the amount of work required, but expect to pay between $6000- $12000. The results take about four months to develop and appear fully after twelve months and it last lifetime.
One another option for treatment is ATP (Advanced Trico Pigmentation). This is basically tattooing on hair scalp with a tiny needle in which a special type of ink is injected that lasts five to seven years. Based on the area treated, it costs around $1500-$4500. There are some more permanent methods available but they can cause side effects.
The hair transplant surgery takes place in various steps. Below given are the steps of the hair transplant.
• Preparation of the hair transplant
• Trimming of donor area
• Preparation of donor area for surgery
• Tissues of the donor area is removed
• Combed hair over donor area
• Donor tissue trimmed into follicular units
• Bald area prepared
• Incision made into bald area
• Grafts are placed according to their densities
• Closing of the hair transplant surgery
Hair transplant should not be considered by:
• Women with a widespread pattern of hair loss throughout their scalp
• People who don’t have sufficient donor hair sites for the removal of hair for transplant
• People who form keloid scars after injury or any kind of surgery.
• People having hair loss due to chemotherapy
There are few complication associated with hair transplant. Some of them are mentioned below:
• Bleeding of scalp
• Infection in scalp
• Itching of scalp
• Unnatural looking of hair
• Infection of the hair follicles
There are some must know facts about the hair transplant.
1. The hairs that are transplanted behave like natural hair and sheds in three to four weeks of transplant. The roots after that start growing hair naturally and continue to do so for a lifetime.
2. Local anesthesia is used to make it a painless procedure and the patient can go home the same day of the surgery.
3. The process of hair transplant is different from non-surgical hair treatment in which a pre-chosen base is fixed on scalp.
4. Hair transplant does not mean you will have a good crop of hair as the result of the transplant varies from person to person and is also linked to person’s natural hair quality.
5. Hair transplant is not the solution for every case of baldness. It entirely depends on case to case basis.
6. The expenditure of the transplant depends on the number of grafts.
The Bottom Line